Systemic Risk Symposium
- Addressing the Threat
The AIF Systemic Risk Symposium held at De Nederlandsche Bank (the Dutch Central Bank) on October 4th was a great success and well-received by those who attended.
The aim of the symposium was to provide a frank assessment of where we are on the progress-meter for creating acceptable adjustments to contain systemic risk in the financial architecture. Dynamic and lively discussions from panel members provided an interesting and informative afternoon.
Part 1/3 - Opening Address
Opening address by Alexander Rinnooy Kan, Chairman of the Supervisory Board at De Nederlandsche Bank
Part 2/3 - Session 1
Session 1 - "Systemic Risk in Perspective".
Speakers include: Ingo Walter (NYU Stern School of Business), Arnoud Boot (University of Amsterdam), Sir John Gieve (Formerly of the Bank of England) and Wietze Reehoorn (ABN AMRO).
Part 3/3 - Session 2
Session 2 - "What are the policy alternatives and the progress?"
Speakers include: Viral Acharya* (NYU Stern School of Business), Aerdt Houben (De Nederlandsche Bank), Jan Pieter Krahnen (Goethe University)
- Dr. Alexander Rinnooy Kan - Chairman of the Supervisory Board at De Nederlandsche Bank
- Ingo Walter - Seymour Milstein Chair in Finance, Corporate Governance and Ethics, New York University Stern School of Business
- Viral Acharya - C.V. Starr Professor of Economics, Department of Finance, New York University Stern School of Business
- Arnoud Boot - Professor of Corporate Finance and Financial Markets, University of Amsterdam & Director, Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics (ACLE)
- Sir John Gieve - Former Deputy Governor for Financial Stability, Bank of England
- Aerdt Houben - Director, Financial Stability Division, De Nederlandsche Bank
- Jan Pieter Krahnen - Director of Centre for Financial Studies and Professor of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt
- Wietze Reehoorn - CRO responsible for Risk Management & Strategy, Managing Board ABN AMRO Group
> Download the presentations and papers (described below)
- Opening Address by Alexander Rinnooy Kan
- Systemic Risk: A Few Pictures Worth a Thousand Words by Ingo Walter
- Systemic Risk: Roadmap of Reforms by Aerdt Houben
- White paper: A Bottom-Up Accountant's Perspective by Jules Muis
- Slide presentation:Is there a Future for Coco Bonds? by Theo Vermaelen
- Notes: Is there a Future for Coco Bonds? by Theo Vermaelen
(Left to Right) Panel Chair, Ingo Walter with Arnoud Boot
& Sir John Gieve
Introduction to the first panel
Sir John Gieve & Wietze Reehoorn
Steven Kaempfer (Advisory Council, AIF),
Buford Alexander (Chairman Supervisory Board, AIF) & Brenda Childers
(Managing Director, AIF)
(Left to Right) Panel Chair, Viral Acharya with
Aerdt Houben & Jan Krahnen
Brenda Childers & Dick van Wensveen (former Chairman, AIF)