Critical insight into the world of private equity
The Private Equity program provides participants with a solid and critical understanding of the inner workings of later-stage private equity (growth capital, buyouts and turnarounds), including the operation of private equity funds, the ways and means of engineering buyouts and restructuring transactions, reporting and performance measurement, and the institutional investor perspective.
We will re-examine the assumptions behind the industry and provide a provocative, cross-country analysis of the ways and means of investing in growth, buyout and turnaround situations. The program will provide an intense learning experience comprising formal lectures, group discussions, exercises and case studies.
How you will benefit
- Analyze and understand the marketplace for private equity: size, trends, issues affecting the market and major players
- Investigate offering memoranda of private equity funds with case studies from throughout Europe
- Understand the investment structures and return drivers used by private equity specialists
- Learn the finer details of buyout term sheets and how to structure transactions
- Review the key governance and control mechanisms issues in private equity
Private Equity Cycle
- Funding growth: the private equity world
- The sources of growth funding: angels, venture capitalists private equity specialists
- Playing the growth financing game
- Introduction to the private equity industry
- The various segments in private equity
- An overview of the private equity industry: back to basics 2004
- Characteristics and objectives of private equity investors
- The use of private equity as form of financing for companies
- Raising and structuring the private equity funds
- Contractual relationships between limited and general partners
- The private equity prospectus
- Fund raising strategies
Private Equity Screening and Investment
- Deal sourcing and investment process
- Identifying the deals
- Managing the sourcing network
- Syndicating deal sourcing and analyses
- The due diligence process
- Negotiating the investment contracts
- Term sheets and investment contracts
- Incentive structures in buyout deals
Managing Investments and Fund Reporting
- Managing the portfolio
- Degree of involvement in management
- Reporting on an investee company to fund investors
- Fund performance measurement issues
- Managing exit decisions
Who should attend
The Private Equity program targets bank managers' intent on understanding the industry better, investment managers keen to develop a thorough understanding of the deal mechanics, institutional investors with an interest to commit funds to the sector as an asset class, and corporate managers looking for a better understanding of how private equity investors create value in deals.
Benoît Leleux is the Stephan Schmidheiny Professor of Entrepreneurship and Finance and former director of the MBA program at IMD in Lausanne, Switzerland where he directs mostly private equity, entrepreneurship and innovation related programs. Dr. Leleux is a specialist in venture finance, including areas such as entrepreneurship, venture capital, private equity and growth management, with a strong interest in family business (he has been the director of the IMD-Lombard Odier Global Family Business Award since 2008). He obtained his PhD at INSEAD, specializing in Corporate Finance and Venture Capital. In 2015 he co-authored the book "Private Equity 4.0".
CFA Institute - CE credit hours
Amsterdam Institute of Finance is registered with CFA Institute as an Approved Provider of continuing education programs. This program is eligible for 18 CE credit hours as granted by CFA Institute. If you are a CFA Institute member, CE credit for your attendance at this event will be automatically recorded in your CE Diary.
VBA - PE points
The VBA in the Netherlands is the association for investment professionals and their customers. For members of the VBA, this program has been granted 20 PE points as part of their continuing education (PE - Permanente Educatie) program.
Dates & fees
27 - 29 November 2017
Program fee includes all study materials, books and software that are required for the program as well as daily luncheons.>
Program fee is exempt from VAT for clients located in the Netherlands. For other EU and Non-EU clients, VAT may be due by client and will not be charged by AIF. Fees may be subject to change.
100% of the attendees in the November 2016 session would recommend the Private Equity program to their colleagues.
"Good overview of the sector with common practices and pitfalls."
“Very useful, and the instructor combines both academic and practical experience.”
Premier Group WLL
“It really provides insight into private equity.”
Director Corporate Credit Risk
ABN AMRO Bank