The digitizing economy has been making many firms and their managers obsolete, but it is also creating unprecedented opportunities for firms that master the new competitive dynamics of digital platforms, ecosystems and disruption.
This program will give you the models, tools and best practice on how to build a competitive strategy for your company in the digitizing world. It will help you develop a long-term perspective on how industry dynamics are changing and how to master the new mechanisms of competitive success, while dealing with the short-term pressures of the current business.
Questions we will address
- How do industry and ecosystem dynamics shape long-term profitability of market opportunities and how does this change in a digital world?
- What are the rules of competitive advantage in a digital world and how are these different from the past?
- How do platforms and two-sided markets work and what are the key strategic considerations, options and actions to be successful?
- How to reconcile the strategy and profit imperatives of traditional and digital models within the same company?
- How to decide on the scope of corporate activities in a digitizing world?
- How to reallocate scarce resources (time & talent of people) to strategic execution?
- How to identify and unlock resources that are often trapped in unproductive uses?
How you will benefit
- Understand how digitization shapes the profit and opportunity dynamics in industries
- Acquire models, tools and best practice on creating competitive advantage and strategy in the digitizing world
- Learn the key success factors of platform disruption and ecosystem leadership
- Balance old and new business models within a same organization
- Gain insight into how you can unlock 20% organizational capacity (time & talent)
- Learn to maintain effective use of scarce organizational resources
Understanding and predicting long term profit dynamics in industries and supply chains
- Comprehending the difference between industries, supply chains, platforms and ecosystems
- Understanding long term industry value creation and profit dynamics
- Scanning markets and supply chains for long term profit opportunities
Models and tools for constructing competitive advantage
- Identifying competitive advantage
- Understanding old and new rules of competitive advantage
- Assessing the competitiveness of your firm and competitors
Case study: Industry and competitive dynamics in the online travel industry
Strategies for getting critical mass in two-sided markets and platforms
- Understanding the difference between critical scale and critical mass
- Assessing strategic options for getting critical mass in digital two-sided markets and platforms
- Jumpstarting platform adoption
Case study: iPad vs.Kindle and the disruption of the publishing industry
Substitution and disruption dynamics
- Discussing the difference between substitution, disruption and market decline
- Understanding the impact of convergence, substitution and disruption on value creation and profit dynamics in supply chains
- Assessing a disruption threat or opportunity
Managing “old” and “new” business models in the same company
- Understanding the characteristics of digital business models
- Evaluating tensions between old and new business models in the same company
- Building hybrid business models
Case study: UnderArmour and the Sports Goods Industry in 2017
Bridge the Strategy – Execution gap; how to manage scarce capacity (time & talent)
- Understanding how to identify wasted capacity within your organization
- How to unlock 20% of organizational capacity (time & talent) for strategy execution
- How to shift and commit scarce capacity to strategy execution.
This program is highly relevant to financial executives who need to hone their competitive strategy skills, in order to actively contribute to and shape strategy discussions in their company. Analysts and consultants who want to deepen their understanding of strategy dynamics will also benefit from this training. Furthermore, it is relevant to any executive teams that are developing a competitive strategy.